Wednesday, December 11, 2019

Dreams and memories - for RiBoCa 2



I am happy and proud to announced that I have been invited to participate in 

The 2nd Riga International Biennial of Contemporary Art
and suddenly it all blossoms

16 May – 11 October 2020
Curated by Rebecca Lamarche-Vadel

Please consider joining me in my project Dreams and Memories by crocheting hyperbolic plane using whatever material - preferably something recycled. In one color only! (The reason for this is to be able to incorporate your creation in the whole installation.) Your name will be included in a list of contributors. However, you should know that there will be no way for me to return your contribution after the exhibit. It will stay permanently with the installation. Contact me when your submission is ready daina.taimina@gmail.com

You may crochet hyperbolic plane as you have done before or you can follow more relaxed directions (see previous post) by starting with a larger circle or initially crocheting around some curtain ring or something like that and using double crochet stitches. Like this:
If you still have plastic bags, you can use them (one color please)
You can use old audio tapes -first I used single tape
But then I found that using two at a time works better
I will try to use some old VHS tapes which I have digitized first to save memories recorded on them.
There is no rush to crochet right now - end of the year, everybody busy. I will wait for your contributions until March 31, 2020. 

Why Dreams and Memories

crocheting makes our fingers to move but our thoughts can travel from memories to dreams. Those thoughts are invisible but they follow the thread we are using creating something that grows and that is why the form which grows - crocheted hyperbolic plane. For me this is project is very personal - crocheted hyperbolic plane was created at the workshop led by my late husband and it will always remind me our time together. Crocheted hyperbolic plane has connected me with many people around the world and that has been unforgettable experience. Dreams? There are dreams which now are memories and there are dreams which may happen. 

No comments:

Post a Comment